Thursday, January 7, 2010

Long night

I left work at 11 a.m., three and a half hours late.
There was a fall. The resident was not hurt, thank goodness. She fell "because I have but one good side." She's paralyzed on one side because of a stroke. Somehow, she still manages to stand and walk using a special walker. She has not fallen in over a year.
I had to write the incident report concerning the fall. I wrote that I was notified of the fall by the roommate. This is true. I was at the desk doing paperwork when I saw her walking down the hall. I've seen her do this maybe once a week, so I was not concerned. She'll usually ask for a pain pill or something to eat or drink. She didn't quite reach the desk when she calmly stated, "My roommate fell, and she can't get up." An aide and I ran down to the room. When Doomsday supervisor read that the resident walked down the hall and told me about the fall, she was not pleased. I said that I did not hear the resident fall, nobody was hollering for help, nobody rang the call bell, and I did not find her on rounds. Doomsday supervisor said that it was okay that a resident notified the staff of a problem; however, this resident is alert and oriented and will tell people that we were sleeping. This is ridiculous. As soon as she stated the problem, we were up and running. Doomsday said that my head was down over papers, but the resident may decide that I was actually sleeping; in addition, administration may ask the residents why they did not ring the bell for help and they might reply that it's useless because nobody answers bells at night. Also, it looks bad that I let the resident almost reach the desk instead of immediately going up to her as she walked. I said that she often walks to the desk for a routine request so I was not thinking that anything was wrong. I felt that Doomsday was grasping for ways people will turn this incident around. They will make it out to be all my fault, regardless of what I write. No matter how many call bells I answer, come morning, someone will complain that their call bell was not answered for twelve hours and administration will believe the, even though the shift is only eight hours.
The second delay issue was the changing of the tubings. Not many on this unit, but still time-consuming and tedious.
The third delay issue was rewriting the ankle incident report of New Year's Eve. They did not want me to write about all of the wounds, just the black wound on the ankle bone. To include the other wounds "would make it seem like his foot was decaying." His foot was decaying. Once the condition was discovered, it was halted with wound care and antibiotics.
The fourth delay issue was once again reconciling the December medication records with January. This should have been finished by now, but was not. There were lots of nuisance errors- nothing missing that was vital.

No comments:

Post a Comment