Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Who is in charge?

Patients are not allowed to be "double diapered," meaning with two diapers.
Around 2:00 a.m. I found two residents double diapered and told the aide that she had to change the residents and provide one diaper each. She denied that they were double diapered. I couldn't believe it. I counted the diapers to her: "One, two." She looked me in the face and insisted that there was only one diaper. I told her I was writing her up for double diapering as well as refusal to follow instructions.
She then said that she was not the one who double diapered them. I told her that she was making it worse for herself because she was supposed to change them at the beginning of the shift at 12:00 a.m., and she was admitting that she did not change them; furthermore, if she found them double diapered, she needed to report this to me immediately, which she did not.
She couldn't follow the conversation. She asked, "Why am I supposed to listen to you?" I told her, "Because I'm the nurse and I am in charge of the care of the residents." She moped around the unit, muttering, "Nurse? Who does she think she is? She's not allowed to tell me what to do."
The really sad thing is that she will get away with it and administration will tell me to back off before she goes to the union claiming harassment.

No comments:

Post a Comment