Sunday, April 4, 2010

Is the grass greener in the next county?

I tried to sleep, but my housemate and her boyfriend for this weekend woke me up. Another reason why I must move. "You're still sleeping?" was the response. I fell asleep at 10 a.m. They woke me up at 12:30 p.m. They don't sleep a mere two hours each night, yet they can't fathom that I would need so much sleep.

I'm exhausted but can't fall back asleep. It's sunny and warm outside. I want to be running around outdoors, not sleeping until nightfall.

I did manage to apply to a job. It's a county job and administrative. I have this fantasy that government employment would be great for the time off, benefits, security, etc. This particular job is at a place where several of my coworkers already work. These nurses work full-time at the county job and then full-time at the nursing home. They walk around like zombies. I don't plan on doing that. I mentioned the job to the night per diem supervisor. She was familiar with the position and the person doing the hiring and said that she would mention me.

I worked for a different county as a nurse at a nursing home. I lasted five months. The job itself was horrible for lots of reasons. As for the perks, I didn't get my insurance cards until my last week, so I never got to use the insurance. I called out sick once (I was supposed to get 15 sick days per year) and was written up for "unauthorized leave of unpaid absence" and not paid. I finally handed in my two weeks' notice when the director of nursing met with me to tell me that a senile resident recalled that at an unknown time in the past, someone who matches my description attempted to strangle him; after an "investigation," they determined that I was the person, and she wanted to know why I would do that.

The two weeks was a courtesy in the employment industry, but that wasn't good enough for them. The following week, the assistant director of nursing told me that I had to leave because "Your name appeared on a paper of people who can't work here anymore." She showed me a printout of an email about people who were missing documentation. My name was not on it. She said, "I didn't say that your name was on this particular piece of paper. I'm using this paper as an example. The names were in an email, and you know that I don't know how to work email." I didn't know how to respond. She said that I just needed to show my immigration papers. I said that I don't have immigration papers. She was horrified and exclaimed, "Everyone needs immigration papers." I calmly said, "Only people who immigrated need immigration papers." She wasn't following. The shift was just starting, and I had already received endorsement from the outgoing shift. I had the assignment sheets, new orders to transcribe, keys, everything- in my arms so I could get the shift into motion. I asked her what she wanted me to do. She said, "You have to leave." I smiled, said, "Okay, the unit is yours," and placed everything into her arms as her mouth dropped open and her eyes widened. I shouted to the CNAs, "Ladies, Ms [assistant director of nursing] is going to be the unit nurse tonight, so bring your concerns to her." I grabbed my purse and ran out the door.

Yet I still hold out hope that a government job in a different location would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment