Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gossip


The corporate culture in my current workplace is very different from my previous jobs in many ways.  One of the most obnoxious operations among the employees is gossip.  They don't sit around and gossip.  They do sit around, but talking or communicating with others is not usually seen.  I don't actually see or hear others gossiping.  What strikes me is that different people come up to me and inform me of rumors about me, as if this is acceptable behavior.  At this place, it seems to be.  The informants are not concerned that there are rumors or about the content of the rumors.  They initially claim interest in confirming the rumors.  Gossip is known (at least to the outside world) for its inaccuracy.  At first, I denied the rumors, only to be met with "Well, that's not what so-and-so said," as if a person I've never heard of would know more about me than I would.  The rumors have become bolder and in poorer taste, so I disregard the inquirer or state, "Don't worry about my business."  A popular response is "I'm just trying to help you," when I know that they are not.

One of the popular rumors is that I am sleeping with -insert male name here-.  "Concerned" individuals told me that they "know" the rumor is "true" because they saw me "talking" to him.  "I can't talk to people who aren't out to get me?" was my thought, which I soon realized was true.  The rumor mongers do not want me talking to and befriending anyone who is not their ally in their plot to get rid of me, or at least make my time miserable.

Nobody’s Friend
My name is Gossip.

I have no respect for justice.

I maim without killing.

I break hearts and ruin lives.

I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age.

The more I am quoted the more I am believed.

My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face.

To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become.

I am nobody’s friend.

Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same.

I topple governments and wreck marriages.

I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartaches and indigestion. I make innocent people cry in their pillows.

Even my name hisses. I am called Gossip.

I make headlines and headaches.

Before you repeat a story, ask yourself:
Is it true?
Is it harmless?
Is it necessary?
If it isn’t, don’t repeat it.

~ Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment