Wednesday, May 30, 2012

How Can I Float Like a Butterfly but Sting like a Bee?

She did it again, but worse this time.  As I previously wrote, I have to pass through a certain unit to get to the nursing office every morning for my assignment.  The night nurse on the floor jumps up as she sees me, trying to tell me the report and count narcotics as I continue walking past her to the office.  Well, today I was assigned to her unit.  But first, I waited in the nursing office for twenty minutes until the day shift supervisor showed up and decided the assignments.  I returned to the unit at 7:20 am, hoping the dense night nurse was gone.  She wasn't.  No other nurse had shown up yet.  She started carrying on:  "Why did you make me wait twenty minutes?  I am waiting here for relief and you disappear in the back.  What is wrong with you?  You have no consideration for anybody else."

I replied, "I float.  I have to wait for my assignment from the supervisor and she is always late.  Take it up with her if you disapprove of her tardiness."

She didn't get it.

At 7:30 am, after we had counted and gone over the report, in walked two other nurses who were supposed to be there by 7:00 am.  What did night nurse say to them for holding her up?  Nothing.  It's my sole fault because I am the first to finally arrive.

The rest of the day had this basic theme:  I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  They two other nurses talked on their phones all day, disappeared from the floor for extended periods, and ignored the desk phone.  I don't know how to handle this.  They criticize me for little things that don't make any difference, such as the angle of a binder in the medication room.  (Not kidding.)  I am a detailed-oriented person, but with so much work that needs to get done, you need to know which details need attention and which do not.  Disagreeing or protesting results in replies such as, "It's not your floor, so you don't know these things, but they matter very much."  I understand that everyone else has been employed at this facility longer than I have, but at this point, I think I can perform the job a lot better than most of them.  They are so focused on what I am doing and how they can pick on me that they let more important details, such as an accurate census count and renewing med orders, slip by.  They blame me for this, too, as you may have guessed.  The problem with multiple nurses on the floor is that only one has a specific assignment- giving medication (usually me).  Everything else is the responsibility of all of the nurses.  So I am not only on the hook for giving medication and carrying out all new orders, but I am also subject to blame for not completing any other task on the unit with a simple, "She was supposed to handle that" from another nurse.

Floors like this one make me glad that I float.

No comments:

Post a Comment