Friday, May 18, 2012

Late

Another aspect that strikes me about the current workplace is lateness.  I was cautioned about lateness during orientation.  Must be punched in before 7:00 a.m.  Any punches from 7:01 a.m. are considered late and will be written up.  Like the stupendous worker that I am, I am always on time and report to the unit before 7 a.m.  My coworkers seem to be late.  Rarely arriving to the floor before 7:15.  Why do they not get in trouble?  I found out.  They punch in before 7:00 and leave.  They get coffee or return to their cars or sit down and talk on their phones- but they do not scurry off to the floor as I do.  And the supervisor?  Why is she not on top of this?  Because she is doing the same exact thing.  I watch her do it several times a week.  (Somehow my schedule lines up exactly with the schedule of the Supervisor from Hell.  More on her in future posts.)

The result is that I receive report and count from the night shift.  I can't do both at the same time, which leaves one night nurse huffing and puffing that I am holding her up, preventing her from seeing her children before they leave for school, and otherwise destroying her bucolic life.  No mention of the other nurse or nurses who are SUPPOSED to be on the floor, relieving her.  I am solely blamed for the night shift leaving late.

In addition, the late day shift nurses spend the rest of the day blaming me for oversights, explaining that I did not give them the report.  I finally told one that she misses the report because she is late.  I thought she wouldn't be able to wriggle out of this true claim, but she did.  She responded, "I'm not late.  You are early."

No comments:

Post a Comment