Monday, July 2, 2012

Go Away

Today at work I was quiet and cautious.  I scared off a lot of people and also a lot of work.

"Why you look terrible today?" asked a nasty coworker.

"I look fantastic," was my reply.  I would have never said this before.

Yet he persisted.  "No, you are different.  Horrible."

"I look a thousand times better than you," I replied curtly and walked off.  He stopped.

I had a lot less work to do when people were too afraid to approach me.  It was great.

Aimee sought me out.  I didn't see her all day, which isn't too hard to do because she works in the administrative area and I work on the patient care floors.  She started off nasty, "Are you mad at me?"  Now if she actually cared in a good way, she would have asked in a concerned tone and not one that sounded like, "Are you mad at me, because I hope you are."

"No," I replied honesty.  Mad is an emotion you have towards someone with whom you have an ongoing relationship.  As for Aimee, I feel that any relationship that we may have had was severed when she went on and on about being offended over a ridiculous excuse.

"Don't lie to me!" she snapped.

"You don't get to tell me what to do," I replied sternly.  Tears welled up in her eyes.  Maybe nobody ever spoke sternly to this spoilt brat?  "Now unlike you, I have a lot of work to do."  The phone rang next to me so I grabbed it and turned away from her.  She stood there.  I line formed in front of me of patients and random coworkers wanting stuff.  For once, I was glad for the never-ending flow.  As I took on one issue, another person ran up with something else, and so on.  Aimee continue standing there, shaking her head, folding her arms, gasping.  Finally she walked off.

She had some nerve.  Does she really expect to me to continue to be available whenever she feels like yelling at me for not behaving and reacting the way she wishes?  I don't know what she'll do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment