Thursday, October 25, 2012

Do as I tell you


One of the attendants from yesterday's fire paper confronted me.

"You were a real bitch yesterday," she told me.  She's older and has worked there too long.  There are patients with more sense.

A younger attendant was nearby.  He is sassy and doesn't invest much emotion into the job.  We get along.  He sees the world from a completely different vantage point.  So I turned to him and asked what I could say.

"I am a bitch.  You're lucky I'm not worse than that every day, because I can be," he offered.

"I like it!" I responded and turned to the surprised female attendant.

"No!" she tried.  "You're a very nice girl.  I don't know what was wrong with you yesterday.  You think that because you have a fancy degree that means you can tell people what to do."

"What was wrong was that you keep pushing me and when I say that I've had enough, that you have overstepped a line, you call me a 'bitch' to try to put me back in my place of serving you."  This felt good to say this, but she was not following.  I continued.  "You can try to cling to your seniority, but younger and younger people will start working here, and they will have degrees whether you like it or not, and in health care, the person with the license and the degree is in charge of the people without licenses and degrees."

She huffed off, mumbling, "I don't know what's gotten into her."

No comments:

Post a Comment