Sunday, November 25, 2012

Patience has Evaporated



My patience left a few weeks ago.  A few days ago my tolerance also disappeared.  I'm still not on the offense.  I am strictly defense.  When someone tells me what to do, I fire back.  I did not realize that so many people tell me what they think I ought to be doing.  I don't tell other people what to do.  I gave up telling the unlicensed assistive personnel what to do a long time ago.  They won't do it anyway.  So they have some nerve telling me what I should be doing.

I let things slide for a long time because I was new and did not think that I knew enough.  That has changed. If I am not sure of the institutional way of doing something, I plow ahead anyway and do it my way.  The organized, logical way.  If someone objects, I tell them that their way is asinine.  Which it is.

No, I am not making friends this way, but I wasn't making any friends the old way.  Now I feel better because I am voicing my opinion.  Standing up for myself.  Scaring away the vultures.

The attendants no longer have to take vital signs measurements.  A while back, I was written up because I took blood pressure readings myself after noticing that attendants handed in wild numbers not possible in living, conscious patients.  I was "disrespecting" the attendants by not relying upon these ridiculous numbers.  Other nurses complained about the numbers (not my treatment) and now the attendants are not permitted to take blood pressure readings.  Am I given any credit for heralding this change?  No.  Anyway, one of the nurses, who is very lazy, yelled at some attendants to take a blood pressure reading.  The attendants refused, naturally.  Arguments ensued.  The attendants made the mistake of asking me, in my new attitude mode, if it was proper for a nurse to ask an attendant to do such a thing.

"No, absolutely not," I replied.  "I would never rely on a single piece of information that any of you give to me.  You approach patient care as a joke, not caring that your passive-aggressive shenanigans could cost a patient her life."

From the looks on their faces, this was not the answer they were expecting.  Good.  Now leave me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment