Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Money, Money, Money



I have not posted in a while because my laptop crashed.  Literally.  I dropped it.  Not hard.  Everything was intact and still worked.  When I went to use it later, it would not boot.  I took it to Staples.  $70 to assess.  Three days later:  can rebuild for $500; all files lost.  So I bought a new laptop for $600 and am mourning the loss of my files.  Not a complete loss.  I downloaded to an external drive in September.  Everything done since then:  LOST.  I feel like an idiot for losing my files and for costing myself so much money.

I know.  Money isn't everything.  But it is the thing required to pay my bills.  And I don't like to be hungry or without a roof over my head.

I also don't like change.  I have been toying with the idea that I am a bit autistic.  I thought that my only saving grace was that I was great at reading other people and their emotions.  In light of my miscalculations about my coworkers, I no longer think that I have any insight at all whatsoever into other people, in spite of my growing experience at the psych hospital; hence, I am indeed at least slightly autistic.  I prefer to be alone.  I feel no emotional connection to others.  I have my routines and am upset and lost when they are disrupted.

But I digress.

A guy at my gym (he's great but happily married, so let's just be happy that there are some good people in my life) does computer repair as a business because he can't find work.  Note to the chronically unemployed:  Create your own business, even if you earn nothing, so it looks good on your resume.  His verdict:  no files found.

How is this possible?

Anyway, I need money.  I was narrowly scraping by with the one job and no overtime.  I am not a favorite child, so I am not given overtime.  Just one or two shifts a week would save me.  As long as nothing happened, I was okay.  But we know that something always happens.  I have to pay for the charge card in January.  And my car insurance is due.  It's really high now because someone hit me in a snowstorm last year and it was deemed my fault.  She even stated that she didn't see me and was trying to beat the light, yet my insurance company conducted an "investigation" and decided it was my fault.

But I digress.

I am fervently applying for per diem nursing jobs, or full-time if it's right.  So far, all the full-time positions offer the same pay I am currently making, but not as many days off.  One of the main complaints at my job by the nurses is that they make less money than other places.  I have not found this to be true.  In light of the light work-load, my current pay is great compared to other jobs.  Not so great in comparison to my rent, car note, and student loan payments.

So I re-applied at the nursing home where I used to work.  But first I left a message for the human resources woman, asking if I was still active and could just return.  She never called me back.  In the past, I would not bother with her because she was never around and never returned messages.  If I actually found her, she would chastise me for interrupting her and snap, "I can't help you right now.  The world doesn't revolve around you."  In the past, I gave up, fearful that she would report me for harassing her.  I lost a lot of paid time off at that job because of this situation because I simply did not know what days I had earned.  No, it was not printed on my paycheck and there was no employee handbook describing the days off.  If I return to work at this place, I will go over this woman's head and report her as high up as I can for being unresponsive.  Remember the new approach!

Both evening supervisors from the nursing home work with me at the psych hospital.  I told both that I was re-applying and would like to work 3-11 every other weekend.  They said that there is a need and I was welcome back.

I have heard nothing and my messages to the Director of Nursing have gone unreturned.

I do not want to return there.  I would rather spend my free weekends writing and socializing.  But I also want to not be evicted.  I want to pay off my loans (eventually).

I also applied to an agency.  They sent a ridiculous postcard to me and probably all other nurses in the state to entice me to apply online.  (People with nursing licenses as well as their addresses are publicly available in my state.  This is great for marketers and patients looking to kill me.)  The postcard featured stock photos of cash, a woman getting a message, and a beach, with "money" typed on both sides in large bright fonts.  I want money.  I want to get massages.  So I applied.  And someone answered me!!!  So far, I was just sent ridiculous tests to complete online and paperwork to complete and return digitally.  Another nurse at the psych hospital happened to mention that agencies now do not even interview in person; everything is done through email or phone.  Sounds great for me.  I must be terrible at interviews because I rarely get the job offer.

I need more money coming in and will keep you posted.  Thanks for reading and thank you everyone who has sent me messages of support.  I will focus on being grateful that I have the credentials to pick up extra shifts for decent money.

No comments:

Post a Comment