Thursday, January 31, 2013

Language Problems (Again)


I have to be so careful about what I say at work.  Every word is misinterpreted negatively.

I messed up.  Again.

Another nurse was asking me about my schedule and when I am off.  Suspicious.  Why does she care?  She can look on the schedule.  She was comparing my days off to another nurse and said, "So when she is off, you are on, and the next day, she is on and you are off?"

"Yes," I replied, "I piggyback her."  Wrong wording to use, apparently.

"How could you do that to her?  You are so mean.  I can't believe you just come right out and say that!"  She shook her head in condemnation.

"Do what?" I asked, genuinely confused about what I had done wrong this time.

"You piggyback her!" the other nurse blurted, as if this was something bad.

"Piggyback means that I go after her," I explained.  Blank stare.  Stupid me, I continued to dig my hole.  "Like an IV piggyback.  When one is done, the other one automatically starts."  Wrong example to illustrate word meaning.

"A nurse like you who is so much smarter than everyone else would know all about piggyback IVs.  We know that you think you know such much more than us."  And she huffed off.

I can't win here.

Diagram of a piggyback intravenous bag set-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment