Sunday, May 26, 2013

Umbrellas Only Block the Rain

One of the other nurses finally lost it.  And thank goodness she did.  Because now I know she is an Enemy.

I am never sure if someone is a full-blown enemy.  They do things that hurt me and I think to myself, "They didn't mean to hurt me.  I am not someone's number one concern.  Other people are stronger than I am."  I fear that if I say something or do something in retaliation, then they will come at me even worse.

One of the nurses I work with- we'll call her Princess.  She has a ridiculous name of similar value.  Princess is always late, talks on her cell phone most of her shift, disappears, and then yells at the end of the shift that I wouldn't help her with any of the work.

I keep telling myself that this is her work style and is not aimed personally at me.

On Sunday, the supervisor toured the floor and I kept hearing "umbrella" emanating shrilly from Princess's mouth.  I thought nothing of it, until the supervisor came to me and questioned me about giving an umbrella to a patient.

I told the supervisor I gave a patient an umbrella for his grounds pass and that he turned it in upon his return to the ward.

The supervisor turned to Princess and said, "I don't understand.  I thought you were upset because she wouldn't give the patient an umbrella."

Princess:  "NO!  She can't go around, doing whatever she feels like doing, like she's in charge, like she runs the place."

Supervisor:  "I am not following you, Princess.  What is the problem?"

Princess:  "SHE IS THE PROBLEM!" and pointing at me.  "It is against the policy to give patients an umbrella.  They can kill somebody.  Who does she think she is, going around, handing out umbrellas?"

Princess had herself so worked up, she was actually panting, sobbing, and trying to shout out more words.  The supervisor brought her to an office and shut the door.

Two hours.  They were in there for two hours, mostly with Princess screaming about me.

When the supervisor came out, she said to me, "I don't know how you work with her.  You were correct to give the patient an umbrella for his pass.  I don't know what she's talking about, that it's against the policy.  She hates you.  I am not sure why or what to do about it, so just stay away from her."

Thanks for the guidance and help.

Princess composed herself in the bathroom, grabbed her purse and keys, and was gone for the rest of the shift.  No endorsement of her assignment.  Nothing.  Just gone.

I overheard two of the attendants talking, asking why Princess left.  One said, "You know, because of what that other nurse did to her."

"What?" the attendant asked, ready to hear some juicy gossip.

"You know that patient who went out yesterday?  She lent him an umbrella in case it rained," came the response.

Silence.  "Wait, no, that can't be it."  More silence.  "Well, I'm not sure, but it must have been pretty bad."


No comments:

Post a Comment