Friday, September 20, 2013

Make Coffee not War

Even morning coffee is a great drama.

When I first started, I was chastised for taking a cup of coffee on the ward where I was working.  As it turns out, there is a weekly coffee club of $5 and I was not a part of it.  Nor was I invited to participate.  I understand collecting contributions for coffee and creamer, as this stuff is not free, but somebody could have clued me in and instructed me in a nicer manner.  But not where I work.  Not that it was an option given to me, but the coffee did not taste good enough to pay $5 per week.

I ended up befriending another ward's coffee club.  This caused so much ruckus when I walked onto my ward with a cup of coffee.  "She didn't pay for that!" they would scream to one another, urgently alerting others on their cell phones.  I initially would try to explain that it was not their coffee that I was drinking, but my actual words never seem to matter in the drama.  This would last anywhere from a few minutes to all damn shift until someone was finally convinced that I had indeed procured the coffee elsewhere.  And the process would repeat the next day with my coworkers growing angrier that they had not nabbed me stealing their coffee.

I eventually gave up drinking coffee at work.  The wrath it drew was so ridiculous, but unrelenting, and I just couldn't take it anymore.

I took up coffee drinking again on my recently assigned ward.  The man who made the coffee was not as horrible as most of the other employees and we worked out a situation where I brought in the creamer and he brought the coffee grinds and made the coffee.  Not only did no other worker on the ward contribute, they usually consumed all the coffee and creamer before I could get any.  Soon people were telling me off for not bringing a larger size creamer or not having a fresh pot of coffee ready for them.

I tried getting others to contribute money or bring in creamer.  The replies were mostly, "You nurses make so much money, you should be buying us coffee."
One attendant snottily told me, "I did buy creamer."
"Great.  Where is it?" I asked.
"It's at my house.  Why would I bring it here?" was her answer.

So that arrangement stopped also.  Yet people kept coming to me, demanding coffee or creamer, and then cursing me out for not giving it.
"It's actually cheaper and less of a hassle if I just stop and buy a cup of coffee on my way to work," I explained to someone.
"Great for you," was the nasty response, "But what about the rest of us?  Where's our coffee?  You don't care about anybody but yourself."




The $4 pumpkin latte from Starbucks is highly worth it, in light of my workplace atmosphere.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. Glad this is not an issue where I work. Cheap coffee and creamer is supplied, free. And some generous doctors contribute Kcups for our Keurig machines that we also got as gifts, once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doctors give us nothing at this hospital. Hmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete