Saturday, October 12, 2013

Wedge Politics?


"So what happens to us with this government shut down?" another nurse asked me.

I was taken aback.  Most people don't ask my opinion of anything, never mind a major, national issue.  I had to be over thinking it.  "What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, do we stop working?" the nurse asked.

My immediate thought was, There is no difference between your working and not working.  Instead I said, "Why would you stop working?"

"Because everything has shut down," she replied,  honestly confused, but still holding onto her fantasy that she would not have to work, but probably still get paid.

I understood.  She had not recognized me as a political genius.  She was trying to garner some kind of general consensus for stopping work.

"We are not the federal government and we provide essential services, so we will carry on as usual," I answered.  Pointless.

"Well, I don't think we're supposed to work anymore," she cautiously continued, as if I was the deciding vote.

"Okay then," I responded, "I guess I'll see you when you come back to work.  Have a good day!"  I walked away.  Quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment