Friday, October 18, 2013

You can't make me

Woes of the 30 minute patient census persist.

An attendant, usually the first to arrive, takes the first census of each shift.  Others follow suit as assigned (or not).  One day, an attendant assigned to the 8 am census complained to me that he had to "fix" the census from 7 and 7:30.

I looked at the list.  Outdated.  The first attendant had assigned everyone as in bed, asleep.  At least ten patients marked as sleeping in beds at the hospital that morning had actually been discharged weeks ago.

So now I have attendant pissed off for "doing extra work."  Nevermind that I'm not too happy myself with this recurrent situation and the added work to my already overflowing assignments.

I gave "Nellie," the attendant who erred in the earlier census, a generalization of the problem.  Her remarks were swift and included:


  • "It's the night shift's job to fix that.  Why don't you tell them to do it instead of bothering me?"
  • "Your are not perfect either, nurse.  When you are perfect, then you can tell me about something that is wrong."
  • "Everyone makes mistakes, even you, so get over it."
  • "It's the clerk's job to update the census, not mine.  I just sign it like you tell me to.  Now you're all up in my face because I did exactly what you told me to do.  Make up your mind."


I left her when the first remark hit the air.  You can't reason with someone like her.  She sounds and acts like a spoiled brat.  These assertions were so ridiculous, coming out of a grown woman who was standing in the midst of a psychiatric facility where she is employed.  The patients got locked up in the hospital for less bizarre remarks.  She has gotten to the point where she sits on her phone all day, doing no work.  If challenged, she screams, "No, I don't have to do that.  It is optional.  I can CHOOSE to work if I want to, but I don't want to and nobody can make me."

No comments:

Post a Comment