Sunday, November 3, 2013

Efficiency

I am efficient.  That seems to be a part of my personality.  I may be rather slow the first time I do a new task, but every attempt afterwards becomes speedier and more accurate.  I then tweak the process itself to make it more efficient.

On the average nursing shift, maximum efficiency doesn't mean that I have hours to spare at the end of the shift.  Rather, efficient means that most of the major goals of the shift were met and no fires are currently burning.

One of the nursing homes I left was one that floated me to the floor with an incoming admission- every time I worked.  "But you're so good at it!" and "You love work!" were comments frequently thrown my way.  No, the work was boring, rote, the same thing- I had merely streamlined it so it took less time.  Admissions still were extremely time-consuming and resulted in hours of overtime and requiring me to basically ignore the rest of my patients while I prepared for the admission and then admitted the person.  The inevitable arguments with the assistants that they did not have to care for the new admission because the patient was not present at the beginning of their shift.  The useless nursing supervisor, standing around, telling families, "I don't know why she hasn't helped you with that yet," instead of helping because she knows I am tied up admitting a new patient.

I always wanted a job were I was noticed and rewarded for boosting efficiency and saving costs.  In the nursing setting, the people who notice are not in administration and respond by dumping more work on me and then observing that tasks are not completed in a timely manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment