Saturday, March 1, 2014

Division of Labor

I just don't know what to do.

Another bad day.  Well, nobody was hurt, in spite of some stupid antics.  The day started when I had to wait to punch in while Queen Bee in front of me took forever.  I soon discovered why:  she had a stack of cards in her hands and was punching in multiple people.  Had I realized earlier, I would have taken a video.  Probably would not have mattered anyway.

The work kept piling in and piling in.  My partner nurse declared early on, "I'm only here to do meds."  Whenever I asked her to do anything else, her response was, "That's too much for one person."  Exactly!  That is why I, who is only one person, needed her to help out.  She flat out refused.  She told me, "Put in a short-staffing form."  For what?  Been there, done that.  The form does not make a bunch of useful nurses appear instantaneously.  What the form does is anger administration.  Once I got a call back from the investigative agency from the State.  The woman said she's never heard of the hospital.  I gave her other possible wordings of the name, the address, names of officers; she still denied that the hospital existed and asked if this was a joke.

The attendants have become more emboldened after the recent fiasco when I lost to an attendant who complained about the unfair workload (as if I created it) heaped onto him alone (even though others also had assignments and he didn't do the assigned work anyway).  I didn't create the work and I didn't decide how few people of such little quality work on the ward.

The attendants refused most of their assignments as well and told me, "Tell the other nurse to do some work.  If she's not doing anything, then we aren't either."  As the day wore on, several attendants told me, "It's your fault for letting people get away with it."

I told the supervisor throughout the day that the work was too much and nobody was helping.  She reminded me, "We've had this discussion before.  You need to learn to get along with your coworkers."  I tried the angle that my lack of a personal relationship with my coworkers should not be a valid excuse for them refusing to do any work.  The supervisor emphasized that there was "a lack of teamwork" and that I was the cause of this lack.

The patients destroyed the ward.  Broken glass.  (Yes, there are/were glass panels along some doors.)  There was some kind of game where chairs were stacked and the ceiling tiles were punched out.  The flimsy chairs also broke in the limbering towers.  Another game involved throwing objects at the cameras until the lenses shattered.  The attendants watched.  "We aren't allowed to tell the patients what to do," was the explanation.  They can tell the nurse what to do, but not the patients.  I kept tossing all the broken stuff into a back hallway.  The supervisor kept demanding incident reports.  I couldn't keep up with the nursing notes for the charts and the administrative reports of damaged property, so the property reports did not all get written.  It's called prioritizing.  Patient safety is my number one priority, but it seems that the supervisor simultaneously wants my coworkers' elusive happiness and redundant paperwork to be my first priority.

Once home, I tried vodka, klonopin, exercise, chatting with friends- nothing worked.  So I called out for tomorrow.  Queen Bee's husband answered the phone- he was supervisor this evening- so there is a risk that he will deny that I called out.

No comments:

Post a Comment