Monday, April 7, 2014

Disappearing into the Silence


"We know she's bullying you.  The problem is that you talk.  When you say something, then she has something to take and twist to make you look like the bad person.  You have to stop speaking."

This is what my union rep told me about the evil supervisor who just won't stop.  I've had it.

When this all started happening, I was supposed to put it all in writing because "we can't do anything if you won't put it in writing so we can show people."  The result:  Proof that I am the troublemaker and cannot get along with others.

The second tactic was that I was to defend myself and not "let her walk all over me."  Well, here we are with the result of standing up for myself:  I am the bad person, not her.

So onto tactic number three:  I am not to speak.  This is ridiculous.  I thought you are supposed to stand up to bullies.  The union rep said that by my not speaking, all people will see is her being a bully.  Who is going to see this?  The union already agrees that this is what is happening.  Directors don't pass through the ward to catch a glimpse of her in action.  She knows to stop when they are near.

Since I have already decided to leave the job, I didn't speak all afternoon.  Yet the evil supervisor was still able to twist things around to make me out to be the bad person.  For the "other nurse," she had her brother-in-law come in, two and a half hours into the shift.  I said nothing.  When I returned from lunch, he had already reported me for being late when I was not.  I arrived to find him and evil supervisor waiting for me, with a long list of other transgressions.  I said nothing.  My partner nurse then left for his lunch break, and returned an hour late.  I said nothing and neither did evil supervisor.  When the other nurse returned, evil supervisor gave us the same task:  overdue progress notes on discharged patients, but sent the other nurse to work in the medical library because "It's too noisy and hectic around here to expect someone to be able to get any work done."  I continued working on the stack of new orders that didn't seem to stop.  Right before the end of the shift, the other nurse appeared with the supervisor to inform me that he had completed his task, but I had not.  I said nothing.

In spite of not speaking, as advised by my union rep so that my words would not be twisted, the evil supervisor managed to twist the entire day into an Account of Incompetency and Insubordination:
1-  In spite of having an additional nurse to help me all day, I failed to complete the simple task of catching up on progress notes, which exposes the hospital to sanctions if inspected.
2-  I was late returning from lunch.
3-  It took me over an hour to carry out simple orders.
4-  I did not answer several phonecalls.
5-  I omitted pertinent information from my nurse's notes.  For example, when I wrote "bilateral hip radiograph negative for fracture" I did not specify which hip was not broken.
6-  The ward was in disarray, with several beds not made.
7-  Several attendants reported that I "hurt their feelings."
8-  Several doctors reported that I often appeared "too busy" and was unable to attend two patient/family meetings that were held simultaneously.


The union rep told me that it was "up to" me to get rid of evil supervisor.  I told her, "No, thank you.  I want her job here to be secure so I won't have to see her at my next job.  You can keep her with you.  I will be the one to leave."

No comments:

Post a Comment