Saturday, July 5, 2014

Unmanageable

The day after I was told that Adrienne was the new unit manager, she appeared on the ward.  "I'll be second nurse," I told her, which indicates that I give out medications while she runs the ward.

"No," she responded, "I am second nurse.  I am not running this ward for you."

I was confused, but said nothing.  The staff kept asking me why Adrienne was not in charge if she was the new manager.

Adrienne completed the medications in record time.  "Do you want me to help you with the wound care?" I asked her.

"No," she answered, "I already did everything."
 
No, she had not done any wound care.  She had not left the medication room since she fled into it at the start of the shift.  Oh well.  This is who they want to run the place.

I went on a lunch break.  When I returned, the hospital was abuzz.  "Hurry, there is a code on your ward!"

I entered the ward, just in time to see one of the wild patients in the main room, completely naked and oiled up, scream at a bunch of bewildered staff, "Come on, mother fuckers, come at me," as she waved her fingers at them.

Most staff will not bother.  It is difficult to subdue someone who is so slick.  Also, the male staff are extremely hesitant to grab a naked female patient.  This is exactly why a female patient who is spiraling out of control will strip and apply petroleum jelly or hair goop all over her body.

Eventually the patient was subdued.

My staff pleaded with me that Adrienne was useless and should not be the unit manager.  "She didn't know what to do.  We kept telling her to call the psychiatrist to get medication ordered, but she just stood there.  The patient kept getting worse.  Finally, we called a code to get help."

Oh well.  May your new unit manager treat you as well as you treated me.

No comments:

Post a Comment