Monday, July 14, 2014

What's good for the goose . . .

I heard that a nurse was fired for posting a picture on Instagram.

I didn't pay much attention, but then a blogger posted about it, so I figured I would check it out.

I have posted pictures of my job on Facebook.  Usually ridiculous signs or food messes left behind by coworkers.  I make sure no patients or private information gets into the shot.  I am on Instagram, but only to look at other people's pictures.  I have never posted a picture on Instagram, but it has similar features and potential for public observation like Facebook.

Nurse Katie Duke was fired from New York Presbyterian Hospital.  What struck me about this situation is that Ms Duke was not some unknown nurse.  She appears in a television show called NY Med.  I had never heard of this show until today.  I was confused at first because I thought that the uproar was that the television character was fired in the show.  No.  With the consent of the hospital, Ms Duke and other healthcare providers are filmed inside the hospital performing their jobs in some kind of reality show ("documentary") for the Emergency Department.  Ms Duke is not an actress playing a nurse.  She is a nurse and she really works[ed] on location.

Ms Duke was fired for posting a picture of her job setting- the very same setting that is filmed and broadcast on television for the public to view.

What am I missing here?

Ms Duke seems to have moved on to a new nursing job, as well as new business ventures.  Good for her.




No comments:

Post a Comment