Saturday, November 15, 2014

Avoidance is Winning

It's been a while.  I've been working in an office within the hospital.  It's almost the position that Nurse Fortune blocked.  The environment is calmer, with less noise and traffic, which suits me better than the hectic wards.  I miss the patients but not the staff.

I am better able to hide from people.

Weekends are free.  I put in for overtime, but have yet to receive any.  I would rather not work on the ward at all, but I need to.

I did not receive a raise for the new position, even though the advertised pay rate is higher than my current rate.  I presented my "evidence" to payroll and the Director of Nursing.  The response:  "That is a mistake.  There is no difference in pay among nurses."

Another office nurse told me she never got a raise when she was transferred to office work.  She declined to show me her paycheck.  We did receive Across the Board raises.  Mine amounted to about $500.  I told the other nurse.  She said she didn't notice an increase, but looked when I mentioned it and "Mine was $5000."  Five thousand dollars.  Hmmm.

The next day, she returned and told me that she was wrong about her raise, that it was really five hundred and not five thousand.  "I don't know how to count the zeros," she explained.  "After all, they are only zeros, so they are supposed to have no value, right?"

I guess I have to give up on getting any more money from this place.  My compensation will be seeing fewer people.

No comments:

Post a Comment