Thursday, November 20, 2014

Stealing her Style

Linette appeared in my little office with a disheveled patient early one morning.

"Here she is!" Linette chirped.

"Here is who for what?" I asked.

"She has an appointment!" Linette continued trying to chirp, but was dwindling.

"The appointment is for a procedure that is across the hospital campus, not in my office," I told Linette, who continued to stand there, clueless.  "That means you go to the pick-up area."

Linette and the patient continued staring at me.  The patient was wearing a hospital gown and slippers, which is entirely inappropriate for the weather and for shuffling her throughout the hospital grounds in public view.  I noticed immediately, but said nothing.

"What about getting her dressed?" Linette slowly asked me, as if I was remiss.

"Yes, you should definitely do that before bringing her anywhere else," I answered, and then turned to the work on my desk.

"Hold on, I'm confused," Linette objected, hand coming up, attitude rearing its ugly head.  "I bring you a patient because you have not come to her room yet to help her get ready, and you pull this attitude with me, like you expect me to take care of the patient FOR YOU?"

"Linette, the nurses and orderlies on the patient's ward need to help her get ready."

"Don't pull that with me," Linette sneared.  "The nurse and I already discussed this.  YOU are the one who wants the patient to go out, so YOU can come to the ward and get her ready and bring her wherever she needs to go."

Linette flounced off with the patient.  Thank goodness, because I didn't know what else to do.  I have no one to appeal to.  The response will be, "Patients come first" or "It won't kill you to help somebody once, especially when they told you how desperate they were."

After a few minutes, Linette made a point of passing by my little office again.  The patient sported a very large (and warm) coat.  Bare legs still sticking out of the hospital gown.  "I found an open office with a coat inside, so I took it," Linette sneered at me.  "Good thing for you, trying to send this patient out on a frigid day with no coat.  And you call yourself a nurse."

I sat there wondering who was foolish enough to leave their office door unlocked.  I hoped their keys weren't inside a pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment