Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Twisted Reality

In the office, I have trouble drawing boundaries.  This is nothing new for me.

People have a way of dumping stuff on me.

I help coordinate appointments, tests, procedures, and then a bunch of other stuff gets thrown in, especially when others mess up.  Or don't want to do their work.

An orderly who transported a patient somewhere went missing.  Somehow I got dragged into the circle of replacing him with another orderly.  To me, it's a staffing issue, beyond my purview.  My solution, if you ask me, is to fire the employee who went missing.  After a while, the bad ones will all be gone.

The replacement orderly was also incognito, resulting in multiple phonecalls to my little office of people inquiring where he was.  Once I make the appointment and convey the news, my role is over, as far as I'm concerned.  If someone messes up at the appointment, it's not my job to run around and fix it.

Belle, the jerk who is the nurse of the patient (who was not missing- the patient being the more responsible and reliable person in this scenario)- called me to ask who I was sending to stay with the patient.

"I'm not sending anyone.  I have nothing to do with staffing," I explained.  "I heard that Mr Smith was the replacement."

"I don't know him," Belle answered.  "What does he look like?"

Mr Smith has a distinctive look and manner about himself and Belle most certainly knows who he is and what he looks like.  "He is quiet, but smiles at you, and wears a hat with a pom-pom," I answered.

She continued.  "But that doesn't tell me what he looks like.  How will I know it's him?" she whined.

"He never removes his outdoor jacket," I tried.

"No, doesn't sound familiar," she answered.

"He is short and overweight," I responded.

"How could you say that someone is overweight!" she started.  "You should not say that about people.  People would be offended if they heard you."

Now I was done.  This whole phonecall was a ridiculous waste of my time.  "You claimed you couldn't envision him based on his clothing and mannerisms.  So I told you height and weight and you flipped.  Do you really have no work to do except trying to get offended by a response to a question that you insisted upon knowing?"

"I'm trying to help you," she lied.

"I don't need help locating your missing staff members.  You're offended by my mere presence.  My words are irrelevant.  Grow up and find your own missing employees."  I hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment