Saturday, December 20, 2014

Nursing Home Industry



I stumbled upon a blog post that captures the situation of nursing home care.

Nursing homes are businesses, often owned by large corporations.  The goal is to make a profit, not provide good care to patients.  The direct care-givers may or may not provide for the patients' best interest.  The rest of the company is so far removed from the direct care-giving component that they could just as easily be working for a company that manufactures pencils.

In addition, the people running operations have the same motivations and personality conflicts seen in the general population.  They conduct their business, and therefore the company's business, based on their own personal goals and prejudices.  Their actions trickle down to negatively impact patient care, but this is not their concern.

The blog post details someone's career as a direct care giver and then a nursing home administrator.  The author's experience is true in many states- becoming a nursing home administrator requires acceptance into a facility's administrator-in-training program, which is based on favoritism.  Some states require a college degree; others do not.  No health care experience is necessary to run a nursing home.

I myself tried many times with many companies to get into an administrator-in-training position.  At this point, I am no longer interested in running a nursing home.  I am glad that I did not get such a position.  Not that my work life is all unicorns and rainbows, but running a nursing home would have made me more miserable, especially the younger version of myself.  (I'll have to write a few posts about my failed administrator attempts.)

The ability to provide good care to a patient does not require the same skill set needed to run a profitable company.  The nursing home industry needs to create a nexus between these gaps to ensure both quality patient care and profits.

No comments:

Post a Comment