Monday, December 22, 2014

Protect Yourself

Nurse with Attitude violated the sanctity of my calm work area.

"There is something that I would like to clarify with you," she started.  Her eyes looked above me, not at me, as if I was too far below her on the social scale to merit direct contact.

I've seen her around.  She is new-ish.  I've heard people complain about her, but everyone complains about everyone else in this place.  I was just thankful that I was away from all of them.

"What did you mean when you said that you were ashamed of me?" she continued, exasperated, yet with a firm voice.

"I have no idea what you are talking about," I replied, as I scanned the physical layout for a chance to make a run for it.  Psycho Nurse saw this as an opening to continue.  Not clarify, just continue.

"Did you, or did you not, give a donut to Nurse ---?"  She stared at me, hands on her hips, as if the answer was a definite Yes, but I was supposed to say it.

"I did not," I replied, as if anything was going to help.

"So how did she get the donut?" Psycho continued.

"From a donut shop?" I answered, and yes, there was sarcasm.  But please- this is what my professional life is supposed to be?  Middle School Hissy Fits over Nothing?

"Then why did she say that the donut was from you and that you said I couldn't have a donut because you were ashamed of me?"  Psycho stood there, as if the story made such resounding sense that I couldn't wiggle out of it.

"You have nothing to do with me, so 'ashamed' would never be an emotion I equate with you," I respsonded, carefully.

"Exactly," she agreed.  Okay.  That's good.

"It sounds like you and this other nurse have been having problems?" I queried, when I knew it was true.

"Yes!" Psycho agreed again.

"Well," I counseled, "She should just state the problem she has with you directly instead of indirectly through someone else."  Psycho seemed to be listening.  "I don't understand the emotional involvement that some people place on others at this hospital.  We all work here because we need a paycheck.  Just come in, do your job, and go home.  I don't have the interest or energy to become emotionally invested in a coworker."

"You are right!" she answered and went away.

I dodged that bullet.  But more will come.  I am learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment