Monday, December 1, 2014

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, but Speak Evil

A doctor complained to me about the substandard staff.

Honey, what I know could fill volumes.

The nurse called the doctor around 4 o'clock in the morning to report an Unwitnessed Fall.  The doctor demanded to know how nobody saw the patient fall when the patient is supposed to have a sitter at all times because of her high fall risk.

The nurse claimed that nobody told her that a sitter was ordered.  The doctor said she wrote the order herself the prior evening.

"Nobody told me" is a popular and accepted excuse around here.  I'm using it more myself, but to get out of doing other people's work, and not for shirking my real responsibilities to patients.  The sitter should have been part of the shift-to-shift endorsement.  Even if the sitter was not mentioned, the night nurse is supposed to (hah!) check each chart and sign off on new orders, so she would have seen the order for a sitter, but only if she read what she was signing.

The doctor said that this place is a joke and wondered how she could ever get in trouble for anything with such antics accepted daily.  I wonder the same thing myself.  Yet it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment