Sunday, February 22, 2015

Just Let Me Know

A woman works in some administrative office.  I have no idea what she does or what her title is.  There are a lot of such people wandering the hospital.  Yet most busy buddies are only concerned that I have to maintain a hectic work pace, not these administrative employees.

Every now and then this woman calls me on the phone or stops by to see me and tells me, "Whatever you need, you just let me know.  Whatever it is.  Okay?  And I'll get it done."

She gives off a subdued aura.  I sense that she's looking for something either within me or within my office.  I don't know what she's up to, so I watch myself around her.

One day, she made three "Whatever you need, just tell me" phonecalls to my work area.  So I told her one thing that I needed:  info on a John Doe who had come in last week.  I needed his real name and date of birth- if they had been discovered.

"Well, I wouldn't know that stuff," the woman replied.  "Why would you ask me for that information?"

"Because you told me that whatever I needed, to let you know.  I need this person's information to schedule procedures," I explained.

The response:  "I meant only ask me for something I know how to do.  I don't know how to get information."

"Okay.  Thanks," I answered.  Useless.

And she still closed the phonecall with her usual offer:  "Whatever you need, you just let me know."

No comments:

Post a Comment