Sunday, March 15, 2015

Absence makes the heart grow colder

I've become better at avoiding people at work.  I arrive early and leave late, outside the crowd at change-of-shift.  A few days ago, I had the misfortune to run into an orderly I wouldn't mind never seeing again.

We were walking through the parking lot near the Reserved spots in the front.  I don't know how one gets to park in these spots.  I most certainly cannot.

The jerk said to me, "Is that your car, nurse?"

I was nearest an empty spot, so I answered, "Yes.  This invisible car is mine.  Cops can't see me speeding."

(One of the ladies in the offices taught me, by example, to answer stupid or rude questions light-heartedly.)

The jerk acted a little annoyed and said, "No, I mean the next car."

To which I replied, "Yes, this brand new Jaguar is mine."

The jerk continued.  "No, I mean that car.  The sedan."  He pointed in the general direction of several cars, none of which were mine, because I can't park in the Reserved lot.

I replied that none of the cars were mine.

When an employee of this hospital asks about my car, I get nervous.  Cars have been vandalized over the years.

The jerk explained, "I thought that you park in the Reserved lot because you think that you are so important now that you have a position off the wards."

I didn't bother answering him and quickly walked away.

I don't even see people or tell anyone anything and still they form these ridiculous and vicious ideas about me.


No comments:

Post a Comment