Monday, April 27, 2015

Different Points of View

I have been avoiding the Charge Nurse who got my friend fired.  Not that this is a strategy to prevent her from doing the same to me.  When she wants to get me fired, she will do so.

I was recently in the same room as she.  Out of nowhere, she started talking to someone else present, and I stayed to listen.

She was explaining that she does not mind if there is a clerk on her ward who does no work.  She mentioned the most recent clerk she had, acknowledged that this person did nothing except talk on her cell phone, and explained that she was told about her ahead of time, that she was a Protected Person and to not bother giving her work or complaining that she did no work.

I think the Charge Nurse had this conversation within my earshot because she feels a bit defensive around me, as I heard the firing story from both sides.  She may be a bit fearful of me, but not enough- she will lash out to eliminate me too, because I don't agree with her.

The clerk on the ward where Fired Nurse worked was a contributing factor to the issues leading up to the firing.

This is the problem when the ward clerk does no work:  no papers get filed.  The fax machine runs out of paper and ink.  The phone goes unanswered.  Copies of forms deplete.  The hospital is paper-based, not electronic.  Doctors want lab results and test reports, prior orders and documentation need to be reviewed, and so forth.  When all of these papers live in random piles instead of the chart, the doctors are not going to dig through the piles to find what they want.  They go to the nurse.  So the nurse has to dig through the piles of papers to find lab results while the clerk sits there talking on her phone.  Same idea with running out of forms.  Everyone who has to write in the chart comes to the nurse to tell her that a form they need is missing.  The nurse, not the Protected Clerk, then has to go to another ward and make copies.

This Charge Nurse would never look through the piles or make copies herself; she would tell a nurse under her to do it.  And the Charge Nurse leaves the floor promptly ten minutes prior to the end of the shift because "I have to get to my other job."  This leaves the conscientious nurse stuck past quitting time because clerical tasks consumed her time.

You can see why Charge Nurse has no problem when certain others do no work, because she won't be doing it.  And you can see why those under her grow resentful.

Plus, supervisors would come to the conscientious nurse- not the Charge Nurse or the clerk- and ask why the phone rings and rings and no one answers.  I remember this happening so many times when I worked on the floor.  If I pointed out that the clerk sits next to the ringing phone and doesn't answer it, the supervisor would pretend that this was news and tell me that the only way the supervisor or administration could be informed of the clerk's non-performance is by the nurse writing up the clerk.

"We have no way of knowing what goes on if you don't tell us."  Ugh.  I see now how this was a set-up.

They know darn well who does work, who doesn't, and who is protected.  The few times I wrote up a clerk, I was the one in trouble for not helping the clerk with a heavy workload and for being racist.  Then the clerk was even more justified in doing nothing "because that nurse hates me for no reason.  Nothing I do is ever good enough for her.  I filed a paper last week and she has yet to thank me for it."


No comments:

Post a Comment