Friday, May 22, 2015

Magic Computer

The newest generation of new schedules and reports started when the supervisor locked me out of the prior generation.  Basically, I started from scratch- again.

I took a mental health day ("sick day"), planning on sending out the required schedules and reports upon my return.

Instead, I was besieged with phonecalls and emails by employees who were mad because they either did not get a copy or the copy was riddled with errors and omissions.

Supervisor dismissed the complaints.  She had emailed or faxed an outdated schedule, one I made before I was locked out.  She determined who gets a copy and who doesn't by first calling the intended recipient.  If the person did not answer the phone or was out for the day, she did not email them the schedule.

"Why would I send an email to someone who is not here?" she explained, as if this was common sense.

She does not understand the concept that email will wait inside the Magic Computer until retrieved.

I passed the complaining phonecalls along to her.  For one of the employees, she explained to me that the person could not be calling because he was having gastric bypass surgery.  I insisted that he really was on the phone and at work.

"Did he tell you he was having surgery?" I asked.

"No," she answered, "But he is so big, I just figured that if he was out, it was to have the surgery."  She doesn't jump to conclusions, she cannon balls into them.

At one point, she told me that I don't have to give her every phonecall; instead, I should ask the caller if he/she is at the computer and can get the email right then and there.  I told her that the email does not disappear if not immediately read.  She looked at me as if I was telling a superb lie and almost had her believing.  So I gave an example that blew up in my face, of course.  "When you come in to work after being out overnight or even several days, you have email waiting for you from all that time, yes?"

This was all she needed to be convinced that I was fooling her.  "How would you know what email I have, not unless you broke into my email!" she exclaimed.  She scurried away and I could hear her calling the "computer lady" to reset her email passcode.  Again.

4 comments:

  1. How does this individual actually function above the level of roadkill? She apparently manages to continue to breathe regularly and effectively without being on a respirator, or having someone follow her around reminding her to continue to breathe, blink and swallow so she won't pass out from asphyxia, dry her eyeballs out from no tear production, or drown in her own drool. At least we know her brain stem is still functional, but that's about all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you absolutely positive she's not one of the patients who is sneaking around in a nurses badge pretending to be the boss? Sounds like she belongs in a bed, not an office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you absolutely positive she's not one of the patients who is sneaking around in a nurses badge pretending to be the boss? Sounds like she belongs in a bed, not an office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does this individual actually function above the level of roadkill? She apparently manages to continue to breathe regularly and effectively without being on a respirator, or having someone follow her around reminding her to continue to breathe, blink and swallow so she won't pass out from asphyxia, dry her eyeballs out from no tear production, or drown in her own drool. At least we know her brain stem is still functional, but that's about all.

    ReplyDelete