Friday, June 19, 2015

No Calm in this Storm

One of the patients has crippling anxiety disorder, coupled with several other issues, that make it almost impossible for him to live outside an institutional setting.  Living inside an institution is not easy, either.  Living is not easy for him.

He can't stay still for long.  He frequently paces and calls out, "What am I supposed to do?" and "I just can't take it anymore."

Several staff members don't deal with him in an effective or compassionate manner.  They will tell him to calm down, or worse, yell at him to sit still or stop shaking.

One day I heard him snap back, "I can't help it!  I have anxiety disorder!"

Yelling at him to "stop fretting" is kind of like yelling at someone with cancer, "Stop vomiting!"

No comments:

Post a Comment