Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Putting the Patient First


I went to a ward to check on a patient post-op.  The doctor called me because nobody was answering the phone on the ward.

When I arrived on the ward, the nurse was on her cell phone and rolled her eyes when I waived hello.

I saw the patient and confirmed his healing status.

As I was leaving, the nurse, still holding her cell phone to her head, yelled after me.  "Excuse me," she belted out in an unpolite tone, "What are you doing?"

"The doctor asked me for a post-op report," I told her.

"You could have asked me," she answered, annoyed.  "You saw me standing here."

"I didn't want to interrupt you on the phone," I answered, and went to leave.

"I can get off the phone," she hissed.  "Patient care comes first."

Since when? I thought to myself.  I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment