Friday, August 7, 2015

Some Doors should stay Shut

An old problem is giving me a new problem.  Jess the orderly.  I don't know how to handle this.

Jess was transferred to a ward close to my assigned work area.  In this hospital are numerous exit doors, but they are locked unless there is a fire alarm, or you have special access.  I have such special access to the exit doors in my area because I have to open the doors for doctors and certain other persons.

Jess noticed that I have access and nominated herself as one of the special persons that I am to let in and out when she arrives late to work, or wants to slip away without being noticed.  She bangs and screams on either side of the door to be let in or out.  She loudly complains to anyone within earshot that I am a cruel bitch because I won't help her and she is in so much pain and can't walk to the front of the building to get to her car.

She parks next to my office area, which is a tow zone, but doesn't get towed or ticketed.  As far as I'm concerned, she can rot in hell.  Whoever she's sleeping with who allows her to park in the tow zone should also code her swipe card to let her in and out all of the doors in the place.

How can I make her stop?



6 comments:

  1. Hire a hit man? Seriously, you have the right idea by saying she can rot in hell. Ignore her. Hard to do, I know, what with the screaming and banging. She's in too much pain to get to her car? Slap her in a wheelchair and push it and her into the parking lot as far away as you can and leave her there. (A fantasy, but something to take your mind off the yelling.)

    I know it not gonna be easy but what ever action you take - or don't take - won't get you in as much trouble as opening that door for an unauthorized person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Liz's response, but it sounds like this girl isn't going to allow inaction to be your action. So, the way I would handle it is report her medical issue to the supervisor. As an orderly, everywhere I've worked, you are expceted to be hands on in patient care. If she can't enter in the same doors as the other staff members due to a physical limitation- Is she able to do her job? Her pain could be putting patients at risk and should be addressed. Secondly- report the parking violation to supervisors. (play the fantasy of calling the tow truck to tow the car- feels good, doesn't it?) There is a reason that space is not approved for parking- is it a fire lane? Drop off lane? if so go the legal route and point out to supervisors that their facility could be fined for her continued behavior. We have a parking lot next to our bldg that everyone used to park in. No one is there overnight, so who cares? Well, the owner of the lot cared. They gave us several warnings then just started towing the cars. It got the point across! That lot stays empty now.

    I have been a supervisor for a while so were this me I would counsel her once on these issues. When she continued, I would write her up for not following the rules and insubordination. Of course, I have been here so long that the administration would back me. I guess your actions really depend on your administration, but if you can show them how her behaviors are putting the hospital or patients care at risk- they should take action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your advice.
    I have no recourse with the supervisor or administration. Either way, I'm in trouble. If I let her in and out, I'm wrong for allowing an unauthorized person access. If I don't open the door for her, I'm wrong because I am (once again) not fostering a positive and friendly workplace, which impacts patient care.
    The physical inability for an employee to deliver care to patients has never been an issue here. Certain others are expected to pick up the slack. Before transferring to the office setting, I worked with two nurses who never went on the floor because of leg or back or foot problems, depending on the day. "You KNOW I can't walk far" was the excuse given by them to me - and the supervisor- as to why I was supposed to their tasks in addition to my own. And the supervisor sided with them every time.
    I need to handle them in a more aggressive manner because nice doesn't work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry your administration is not supportive. I have went through several here that weren't and realized the best thing I could do was keep my head down and my mouth shut. I don't do aggressive unless a patient is in danger. Sorry you are stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Call the tow truck under another supervisors name... Lol sorry, I'm a bit vindictive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea. Posing as one of the idiot supervisors. They'll never know.

      Delete