Monday, October 5, 2015

Waiting for What?

One of the doctors that I assist called to announce her expected arrival at 10:45 am.  She is always late, so I didn't expect her before 11 am.  I finished what I was in the middle of and started to call the wards, planning to stagger the appointments throughout 11 and 12.

The first clerk responded that my supervisor already told them to send the patient at 10:30.

My supervisor confirmed that she called from another room, telling every ward to send the patients for 10:30.  "That way, they won't keep the doctor waiting," she explained.

By 10:45, the waiting room had filled.  Because the orderlies are like preschoolers, I kept careful track of who arrived first, second, third, and so on.  When the doctor finally showed up at 11:15, I called the patients in order of their arrival.

After that fiasco was over and everyone had left, my supervisor came up to me.  "You really upset Bea by making her wait," she told me.

Bea is an orderly.  I hated working with her on the wards. Bea is a jerk.  A lazy, troublemaking jerk.  As is my supervisor.  And I have had enough.  "You told everyone to come at the same time, 45 minutes before the doctor showed up.  If Bea was upset about waiting, that is on you, not me," I countered.

"You controlled when people went in to see the doctor.  Not me.  Bea was here first with her patient," my supervisor said.  Wrong.

"Bea arrived after everyone else," I said.

"No, she was second," supervisor said.

"No, she was last.  And you know what else?  Bea is a lazy jerk.  I have no interest in hearing any more of her lies.  If I had my druthers, she would have been fired long ago.  It really doesn't matter if Bea sits in a waiting room doing nothing, or sits up on a ward, doing nothing.  Bea came down here to make trouble, and here you are, helping her.  I've heard enough."  I walked out, announcing that I was going on lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment