Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Newbies cannot Gossip

I checked on one of the new nurses who had just received an admission to handle all by herself.  She was upset.

"I was on break when the admission arrived.  The other nurse said she started.  I'm looking at the papers.  She did nothing!  And she reported me for not giving medication to her patients when she was on break, even though the meds were past due when she left, and she knew I had my hands full with the admission."

I told her she could ask me for help or to double check anything.

She said to forget that she said anything bad about the other nurse.  "It's okay," I told her.  "I've worked with her before.  I know that she does nothing, but reports you for not doing your work and hers, and the supervisor sides with her."

She said, "I have to watch myself.  I said something bad about someone, and the person agreed with me, but then ran to the other person and told them."

I confirmed that this was a common occurence here and to be careful.

She added that she needs no help with the admission.  "I did one before and the supervisor and the other nurses said it was perfect.  So I have no worries."

I was worried.  Didn't she realize that she doesn't need to do anything wrong to get in trouble?  She was already in trouble, courtesy of her partner nurse, for not doing the other nurse's work.

As I tried to leave, the psychiatrist called after me, asking me to help him determine psych meds for the new admission.  "That nurse said there is no paperwork!" he pleaded.

I returned to the new nurse and asked to see the papers.  Finally I found the list of "Medications from Home" and the list of meds given while staying in the emergency department via crisis.  I gave them to the doctor.

"I didn't want to say anything more to her," the doctor explained.  "If you upset a nurse, she quits, and we can't find any good nurses."

What am I?  Look at how I'm treated.  They think I'm an idiot for not quitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment