Friday, November 13, 2015

Push Back

Normally I avoid people at work because they are an aggressive bunch of blamers, as you may have gathered by some of the posts here on this blog.

Someone kept calling my office and hanging up when I answered.  In this electronically-challenged institution the phones oddly have caller ID.  I knew it was the nurse who got another nurse in trouble for having good relations with patients.  This nurse has become more hyper and stubborn lately.

So I called her ward.  I told her that someone keeps calling and hanging up when I answer.  She said it was her and I did not answer the phone; "It rang and rang and I don't have time for that."

I said that the phone rings four times before switching into voicemail and that I picked up by the second ring.

She said, "You did not answer the phone."

I said, "Yes I did."

Normally I wouldn't bother, but this nurse has really been irking me lately.  She exploded into "How dare you accuse me!" and "You are the one not doing your job."  She also threw in, "It's about patient care, not you," as if calling me repeatedly and hanging up helps a patient.

I yelled back.  I was so glad that my supervisor was not around.

Later in the day, I went to her ward under the pretense of needing a record.  She left me alone.

I am never sure if pushing back will make someone stop bothering me, or come at me worse.

My friend offers her mother's advice:  If someone slaps you, don't turn the other cheek.  Hit that person back so hard that they never try to hit you again.

The next day, this nurse called my office for me to cancel a test scheduled for one of her patients.  I said okay.  Later, she called back and I let my supervisor answer because I was in avoidance mode.  The nurse talked so loudly that I easily heard her saying, "I told Nurse Enid this earlier, but she didn't understand.  I need the test cancelled for Mr Smith."

She undermines other people for no reason except to be nasty.  I switched out of avoidance mode and called her ward.  I asked her why she told my supervisor that I did not understand her earlier phonecall.

She screamed, "You are not supposed to be listening in on other people's private phone conversations.  That is illegal."

That was a diversion tactic.  "I'm still waiting for you to answer my question.  Why did you call my supervisor and imply that I am an idiot incapable of understanding your simple directive?"

"I don't have to answer you!  You are harassing me!" she screamed and slammed down the phone.

I don't know if I have to keep doing this, or somehow increase the severity to get her to leave me alone.  I understand that she has some personality glitch that makes her behave this way, but she chooses her victims.  She doesn't do this to everyone, only a select few.  I need to get off her chosen list.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Pushy people will run over new nurses easily- I can attest to that. Stay strong and realize what they are doing.

      Delete
  2. Keep letting her know you are aware of her tactics. So what if she screams. Thats what makes her so mad- is that you see right thru her ways. It's kinda funny- just laugh it off. Might think of telling her you are recording the conversation FROM NOW ON right before she speaks. And you don't have to- but she will likely be less vile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I'm aware, but the nurse herself is not aware and is not open to an enlightenment. Just the other day she called me to "explain" something I told another nurse. I replied that the nurse had correctly delivered the message. She said, "No, I can't take her word for it. I need to hear it directly from you. Actually, not even you. I need your supervisor." The matter was so small and already handled that she did not need to escalate the issue, but she tried.

      Delete