Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Who can and can't complain

One of the doctors said I should write an email to "all the higher-ups" about the abuses of power and nepotism at the hospital.

"I would be fired," I answered.

"I do it all the time," he said.  "Look at me.  I'm not fired."

Yes, look at him.  He makes how many times more than I do?  He probably has one of those financial safety nets, so if he were fired, he would not starve and be homeless.

Also, several doctors have already quit this year and not been replaced.  In what seemed like a calculated financial move, the hospital saved money by pushing the work onto the remaining doctors.  Some resented the overload and left.  Now the hospital must look the other way as doctors refuse additional assignments, take their earned paid time off as well as unpaid leave, and take extended lunch breaks.

In other words, his finances and his job are way more secure than mine, so he can risk offending people, even pissing off important people.  I cannot.


No comments:

Post a Comment