Saturday, January 2, 2016

Banishment

I arrived to my office area ahead of everyone.  (The office where I have been working for over a year.  My home base.)  I set up an exam room for a doctor who usually comes that day.  When my immediate supervisor arrived, she laughed and called out, "Hi, Kathy," presumably directed at someone else.  As she got to my door, the source of the light in the area, she gasped.  "What are YOU doing here?" she said.  Nasty.

"I work here," I said faintly, but couldn't muster a smile.  If I asked her why she was happy when she thought Kathy was here, but turned nasty when she realized it was me instead, she would say I was being insubordinate and disrespectful.

"I don't think you work here today," she answered back sternly.  "You better get moving before you get in trouble."

I wasn't sure what to do.  Either way, I would be in trouble.  I couldn't disappear from my assigned work area while I waited for another assignment. 

The supervisor went into the exam room and put away everything I had just set up for the doctor.

"Is the doctor not coming today?" I asked her.

"Oh, he is coming," she answered as she busied herself with her many bags from home.

"Did I not set up the room correctly?" I probed. 

She wouldn't look me in the eye.  "I don't want you putting me in trouble for giving you work.  You put a lot of people in trouble by complaining that you don't want to do any work.  So if anyone asks, I have no work for you.  I never told you to do anything.  So you can leave.  There is no work for you in this office," she finished, dismissing me from her presence. 

I grabbed my bag and jacket and left that section of the hospital.  I wandered over to the area where the Intake Office is located.  Everything was locked this early.  I hid from nursing administrative people until I saw maintenance trudge along with ladders and open the door I needed.  I helped hold the door open for them, smiling, nodding in agreement when they said, "Oh, you are early for work today!" 

The Intake Office was unlocked with nobody inside.  So I set myself up and managed to stay there for the rest of my shift.  Nobody voiced any concerns or objections. 

My immediate supervisor has this situation almost entirely wrong.  Her supervisors have been throwing a bunch of work at me through her.  These supervisors wanted their buddies to have the job that I got, so they are trying to make the job miserable and/or get me fired.  I cannot do all of the work they throw at me; plus, it's a set-up to fail and be fired.  I protest, unsuccessfully.  So the top supervisor tells my immediate supervisor to tell me to do the work, a directive that my immediate supervisor blindly follows.  This could be why she thinks that I "put her in trouble" by reporting her for telling me to do tasks that are outside my job duties.  She doesn't realize that she was a pawn of the top supervisors and they, not me, set her up to take the fall just in case I prevailed in this battle. 

Is this normal?  Are other people able to come to work, do their predetermined job, and go home?  It seems that every day I am fighting to survive in this place.  It's not even a high-paying, prestigious job.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment