Sunday, April 24, 2016

Transferring the Final Responsibility

My supervisor’s call outs are falling into a pattern. I heard that she has taken another job part-time. She tells me nothing personal.

A medical assistant is assigned to the same area of the hospital as I am. I won’t use the term “work” because she does no work. She has one doctor to help once a week.

She timed her performance for a day when my supervisor was out.

She decided that her one doctor was now my responsibility. When he asked for assistance with a patient, she started screaming.

“Why ain’t you asking HER to help you with the patient? Why you asking ME? SHE is the NURSE. It is HER JOB to help doctors and patients. Why you coming after ME for? Go tell HER!”

I was in a room assisting a doctor with a patient. More were in the waiting room. I ignored the screaming. My doctor gave me a confused look. I shrugged.

The scorned doctor appeared in the exam room. Never mind patient privacy or interrupting the doctor in the middle of a procedure. “Can you help me over here?” he asked.

“She’s busy with me!” my doctor quipped. “Tell that assistant of yours that there is no reason why she can’t help you with your one patient.”

After that doctor left, my doctor turned to me and said, “Do people barge in and yell at you when you are with other doctors?”

I thought for a moment. “I guess so,” I answered. “I didn’t realize that this happened all the time.”

“Well, it happens every time I’m here,” the doctor observed to me.

My supervisor has not said anything to me yet. The medical assistant has ignored me since then, which is great. She is a piece of trash who does nothing all day every day. I don’t understand why she is protected.

1 comment: