Sunday, May 15, 2016

Nurse versus Not a Nurse

I was assigned to work in the Intake department again.  Prior times in this office have been civil.

Well, there is a new secretary in the department.  Her presence changes the dynamics.

"I got this job because of my connections, yes," she volunteered, "but I keep the job because I outperform everyone else."

For the record, the performance standards are very low.  She can turn on the computer, create and save documents, and send email.  This does indeed put her in the top at this hospital.

Then she challenged the specialized skills and knowledge that only nurses possess.  Fellow nurses, we must be aware that this exists, recognize it, and challenge anyone who dismisses nursing as a profession.

"Just so you know, I am more qualified than you to do your job," she continued.  "I have a four year degree and your job only requires a two year degree."

"You are a nurse?" I asked.

"No, but I don't need to be because I have a four year degree," she insisted.

"In nursing?" I tried again.

"No, not in nursing.  But you don't need a four year degree to work here as a nurse, so I am more qualified than most of the nurses in this place," the brat continued.

Now I needed to correct her.  "If you do not have a nursing license, regardless of any college degree, you are not qualified AT ALL to be a nurse."

"I am more educated than most of the nurses here," she continued, unpersuaded.

"I have a four year degree in nursing and I have a nursing license," I explained, "So you are not more qualified than I am to be a nurse.  You do not qualify to be a nurse at all, even if you have a doctorate in art history."

"I'm not saying that you don't have a four year degree.  You very well may have one.  I'm saying that I have a higher degree than the minimum for a nurse, so I should have the job they just sent you to do," she said confidently.

"Well, you can call your 'connections' who got you this secretarial position and tell them that you should be reassigned to my nursing position, and I'll go," I told her.

"They won't.  I already tried," she said, still convinced that she was correct and everyone else was failing to see the obvious.

I kept away from her for the rest of my assigned time.  Her desk is next to the door for the area.  I noticed that anytime I came or went she grabbed a notebook that rested in the corner of her desk.  I thought about telling her why I was leaving, such as the bathroom or to deliver a document, but decided not to.  She is going to twist my performance to make me look bad.  If I said I was going to the bathroom and she saw me talking to somebody, she would characterize that as lying to leave my work area.

She told me that she got another nurse dismissed from the position by keeping track of her comings and goings.  "I told the director, 'I just want you to look at this when you consider keeping this person in this position.  These are all the times she left and when she returned.  I'm not telling you what to conclusion to draw or what to do, just to look at this.'  And sure enough, she was reassigned."

What would be the term for her?  Not back-stabber.  She is doing this straight to people's faces.


2 comments:

  1. The only credential I had was 3 miserable years of "training." Somehow, I managed to function as a nurse for a really long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention to this opinionated person that some nurses finish with a diploma and not a degree. She also confuses LPN (licensed practical nurse) and APN (advanced practice nurse). Any attempt to correct her would have been futile. Let her run her mouth to the bigwigs and look like an idiot.

      Delete