Thursday, August 11, 2016

Balancing Sleep and Work


I was never a morning person.  I get a second wind of energy around 10 o'clock at night.  If I'm not in bed by nightfall, once the later hours roll around, I am wide awake.

This is one of the reasons why I tried working night shift.  As it turns out, sitting around at home and doing what I want all night is not the same as working under florescent lights with overactive patients who have no idea that it's time to sleep.  Plus, people who have never worked overnight do not understand how obnoxious they are when they remark, "Gee, it must be great to be off all day."

Evening shift seemed ideal.  But I would not go to bed until 3 or 4 in the morning, then wake up just before I had to be at work, with little time to run errands or make phonecalls.  When the shift ended, all the stores and businesses were closed for the day and most normal people were already in bed.  Anything I did during the day, before work, had that ticking clock hanging over my head.

Having to work at 7 in the morning is not easy.  But at least I'm done at 3:30.  When I am off, I notice neighbors leaving for work at 8 or 9, only to get back home at 6 or 7, or even later.  An entire day gone just to work.

I used to be able to take a quick nap after work.  No more.  I'm exhausted, yet I cannot sleep.  And I'm too drained to do anything else.

This place is not ideal for a lot of reasons, but at least the hours aren't too bad.  I would rather be independently wealthy, but this is not much of a time commitment compared to other jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment