Saturday, August 13, 2016

When Quitting is an Option


One of the nurses quit.  She just received her full licensing as a nurse practitioner and this hospital has no openings.  "I went back to school so I wouldn't have to work in a place like this," she explained about not being upset that the hospital did not offer her a new position.

She said that I should go back to school to become a nurse practitioner.  I said I didn't want to acquire more debt and at this point in my career, the anticipated financial pay out is not worth it.  She is much younger and has years to work at the higher salary to recoup the money she spent to become a nurse practitioner, over $50,000 for the Master's Degree, not the doctorate.  She doesn't even have a position yet.  She's going to subsist on her husband's salary until she finds work.  This is not an option for me.

She said that this place is an insult to intelligent nurses because we babysit the support staff and waste time defending ourselves instead of doing actual nursing tasks.  "How many more times are you going to get called to the office and told that an orderly doesn't like the tone your voice reached after telling him ten times to put down his cell phone and assist a patient?"

She's right.  But jobs are not easy to come by.  I've thought about relocating.  Maybe people are nicer in a different area of the planet.

May she find success and happiness on her next path.

No comments:

Post a Comment