Saturday, September 24, 2016

Job Interview


Job interview!

On the telephone.  Saved me from having to take a day off for nothing.

I locked myself in a bathroom for the interview.  Not the best environment, but there is no other private spot.

I was offered this rare interview because a friend put a word in for me at the insurance company where he works.  They were looking for nurse case managers for accident claims.

So I described my job as similar to case management, which it is.  It can be a lot of things, but this company needed to hear about my case management experience, so that is what I highlighted.

The deal breaker was this question:  "So why did you pick our insurance company to work for?"

Umm, my friend arranged for this telephone interview and that is how I "picked" you.  But I could not answer like that.  So I said I was looking for a more professional environment to expand my skills and that my friend said the atmosphere of this insurance company was what I was looking for.

Not good enough.  The interviewer, who was not a nurse by the way, wanted to know why I chose this particular insurance company over the other insurance companies in the state.

I didn't have a better answer.  I don't know how any of them treat their employees.  They probably all pay around the same amount and provide the same crappy health insurance.  There aren't a lot of choices for job seekers.  Most applications fall into a black hole.  Every insurance company in the state does not call me to interview.  Actually, this was the first ever.

At least the company sent a follow-up email stating that I did not get the job.




No comments:

Post a Comment