Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Answer is No


One of the nurses helps the patients create artistic displays on the ward for holidays or times of the year.  Often I pick up supplies or decorations to add to the display or the creation of artwork for the display.

An orderly came through my little area of the hospital to socialize with others.  After confirming with her that she was working with the artistic nurse that shift, I asked her to bring a bag of supplies back with her.

"Is this for a patient?" she asked.

"It's for the Valentine Day display," I explained.

"Then I'm not doing it," she said.  "I only do work if it's for a patient.  I don't do personal favors for the staff."

"It's not a personal favor.  It's for a project that the patients are doing," I tried.

"If that nurse wants whatever you have, she can come get it herself or you can bring it to her.  Ain't nothing in my job description that says I have to help people with no art display," she asserted and left.

Wow.  I didn't expect that from this particular person.  I've worked with her many times.  A few years back, she became very ill on a ward where I was the charge nurse.  I dropped everything to take care of her.  She asked me questions and I answered her about the illness she found out she has after lots of tests.  That is all personal and does not directly affect the patients, yet I did this for her and did not assert that "I don't do personal favors for the staff."

She is on the lazy side, even with patient care, though in her mind she may think that she goes above and beyond for the patients.

I do not have the option of claiming that I don't have to do a particular task if it does not directly affect a patient.


No comments:

Post a Comment