Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Procrastinating an Emergency


An employee was hurt on the night shift an hour before I arrived to work.

My supervisor was half an hour late that day.  Her absences and lateness has substantially increased lately.  Maybe she's dying.  Or getting someone to cover for her.

Anyway, I did not know about the injury until my supervisor arrived.  A band of people followed her to locate me.

The employee was sobbing in pain and shock.  The doctor was yelling at me, "How much longer must this woman wait to get into the emergency room?"  The night shift supervisor was yelling at me, "Why does it take you so long to find the papers for this incident?"

"What?" was all I could muster.  "Why are you all waiting around for me?  This has nothing to do with me!"

The night supervisor was demanding that I let her into a restricted area.  "I don't have keys for those doors," I replied.  "You must have a master key on your supervisor's key ring."

"Which key is that?" she asked me as she reached into her pocket to bring out pounds of tangled keys and key fobs.

I didn't extend my hand to take any of this mess.  I asked the injured employee if she would like to be seen in the emergency room.  She bobbed her head affirmatively.  I took out my cell phone and explained, lest I be reported for using my personal phone during working hours, "I am calling the ER to send a stretcher to get her, not because it is part of my job duties, but because I am a caring human being."  This was met with confused stares.

What is wrong with these people?

The entire time my supervisor was spying from a distance.  Not helping.  Spying.

This was all taking place within the confines of the locked psych areas.  As the emergency transport arrived, I startled my supervisor when I called out to her, requesting that she hold open one of the locked doors for the stretcher.

She obeyed.  Just as help entered the door I was holding open, I heard the door slam behind me.  I turned and saw my supervisor walking away.  "I'm sorry," I said to the guys pushing the stretcher.  "I thought someone was holding that door."

"It was probably time for her coffee break," one of them quipped.

Tales of our incompetence and disdain for work have apparently traveled.

I scurried around them to scan open the locked door.

After all the commotion was cleared, I approached my supervisor.  "Why did you shut the door on those people?" I asked.

"Because it's not my job to help them," she answered back.  "And it's not your job, either."

"Actually, it is our job to help someone in need, not only as employees, but as human beings," I answered.

Her actions are becoming increasingly contemptible.

Note to self: If ever injured or sick on the job, call for help myself from my cell phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment