Saturday, April 1, 2017

Sharing more than a Password


Last week for a few days my immediate supervisor, Linda, lent me out to an office in another department.  As usual, she then called out during those days.

I wonder if she does this to create more problems, or to ensure that I am not left unsupervised in her office.

One of the doctors that I am supposed to assist had to be assisted by a floater nurse.  Neither the doctor nor this nurse is computer literate.  The doctor's handwriting is utterly illegible, so I help her type her notes into Word.  The doctor and nurse called me in my temporary office for help.

Over the phone I guided them on what to click to find the files.  The doctor wrote down how to save and print documents.

I did not dare go to the doctor to help because the last time I did that, I was in trouble for going near my homebase when I was assigned elsewhere and for leaving my assigned work area.  Yes, I was in trouble for covering two departments while people who do nothing do not get into trouble.

Well, my supervisor tried getting me in trouble anyway.  "You have my computer password!" she accused.

"No, I don't," I replied firmly.  I wasn't going to let her get far this time.  "Where's your evidence?"

"You told the doctor where to find the files on MY computer!" she snapped.

"Over the PHONE!" I snapped back.  "And the files are located in the same place on all of the computers in this hospital because you had The Computer Lady put them on the hospital's intranet."

"Why did the doctor call you when the instructions are right here on the wall?" my supervisor persisted as she swept her arm in a general pointing over hundred of papers tacked to the wall.

For the record, the walls in this work area are covered in so many papers that finding anything is impossible.

artistic interpretation of the wall paper situation

"How did you get into my computer if you did not have the password?" my supervisor continued.

"I didn't.  Any employee can use his or her own user name and password to log on to any computer in this building."  I was explaining to someone who doesn't believe a word I tell her.

"I only gave my password to one person to give to the doctor," she said.  She named that horrible woman who screamed at me in the parking lot.  The one who was supposed to be a "witness" in my impromptu trial at the end of last year.  My supervisor would rather trust that lazy, lying, violent witch than me.

"If other people have your password, change it.  Problem solved," I stated simply.

"Why should I change my password because of YOU?" she retorted.

"You should change your password because YOU gave it out to people, which is expressly prohibited in hospital policy," I challenged her.  "You have the nerve to accuse me, with no proof, of getting your password when you are the one who wrote it down and handed it out to people?  Is that what you are going to tell the director of the hospital when you report me this time?"

She glared at me.  I walked out.  She didn't understand or believe a word I said.



No comments:

Post a Comment