Saturday, May 20, 2017

Forgetting versus Lying

I was preparing for a doctor's arrival when my supervisor, Linda, felt the need to enter the room and say, "I got everything ready for the doctor yesterday, but she did not come."

Linda had lent me out to another department the day before.  She would not have done this if she thought this doctor was coming, because then she would have to help the doctor herself.

"I wrote on the calendar that the doctor is coming today for this week's visit," I responded.

"You are not to be believed," Linda said.

I stared at her.  "What is that supposed to mean?" I asked.

Linda said nothing.

"If you think every word I say is a lie, why didn't you call the doctor and ask her which day she scheduled?" I continued.

"I'm not going to bother the doctor just because you do not tell the truth to people," Linda answered.  She turned to leave.

I called out after her.  "If you thought I lied about which day the doctor was coming, you would not have let me work somewhere else.  You would have kept me here to help the doctor.  You are the one who is lying."

Linda left.

If she did set up for the doctor yesterday, she messed up.  It's not a big deal.  She would just have to put everything away.  Someone else may have noticed, so to cover up her increasing forgetfulness, she said I lied about when the doctor was coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment