Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Played Like a Fool


I confronted the supervisor who scheduled me to work on Sunday.  "Why did the weekend supervisor claim to not know that I was supposed to work?" I asked.

At first, she acted fed up and said, "Of course they knew!  I am so sick of these people!"

Then she motioned me into her office.

"Listen," she ordered.  "You were not on the schedule.  You were on standby IN CASE somebody called out."

"I was not on standby," I corrected her.  "You told me you were short even with my addition to the schedule."

"Yeah, well," she whistled through her mouth, "You were actually an extra nurse because someone usually calls out.  Nobody called out, so you were lucky that the supervisor let you stay."

"I canceled my plans because you said you were 'so short' and 'desperate' and that I 'need to help on the weekends every now and then'.  That was all a lie?" I asked.

She gave me a dirty look.  "I said what I needed to say to get you to agree to come in.  If you don't like it, well, honey, welcome to the real world.  Get over it."

I was pissed.  I felt duped.  She was saying that it was my fault she had to lie to get me to do what she wanted me to do.  Of course I would not cancel my plans and sit and home and wait in case they called me to come in.  There is no paid on-call arrangement.

"Don't ever ask me to cover an extra shift or switch my day off again," I said.

"Oh, now you're just being petty," she groaned.

"Welcome to the real world," I said and left.


No comments:

Post a Comment